sarf.120013

First publication page
Title Records of the Geological Survey of India
Document Type Journal
Language English
Publisher Name Geological Survey of India
Publisher Region Calcutta

Documents available for this title

Volume VII

Volume X

Volume XXXIX

Volume LXIV

Volume L

Volume LIV

Volume LIX

Volume LXI

Volume LXII

Volume LXIV

Volume LXVI

Volume LXVII

Volume LXVIII

Volume LXIX

Volume LXX

Volume LXXIV

Volume LXXV

Volume LXXIX

Commentary

The Geological Survey of India (GSI), the second oldest survey in India, was established in 1851 in Calcutta with the singular aim to locate coal for the railways. Over the years it expanded its role to undertake the assessment and regional level exploration for coal and other mineral resources, provide inputs to engineering projects, geotechnical studies, and regarding geo-environment and natural hazards, glaciology, seismotectonics, and so on. The Survey used to provide basic earth science information to the government, industry and the general public, and became a responsive participant in international geo-scientific fora. The Records of the Geological Survey of India became the GSI’s mouthpiece, its periodic journal that still continues to be an important publication of the GSI. The journal was first published in 1868 on behalf of the Government of India. In London, Trubner & Co. was its early publisher.

 

The journal was published in several parts in a year. Part I of the journal published the general report of GSI and the Geological Museum submitted by the director of GSI. The report included the proceedings, activities and researches of the Survey. It included entries such as disposition list, obituary, administrative changes, military service, students, faculties, honours and awards, library, drawing office, publications, laboratory, petrology, palaeontology, earthquakes, Himalayan stratigraphy, economic enquiries, geological surveys, and bibliography.

 

The later issues of the journal devoted attention to geological explorations and investigations with special reference to minerals. The diversity of minerals in India was a matter of great interest for colonial geologists, and the notes, reports and articles published in the journal bore testimony to this. The list of minerals included alum, amber, asbestos, bauxite, building materials, chromite, coal, clays, diamonds, feldspar, garnet, gold, graphite, gypsum, iron, jadeite, lead, manganese, mica, nickel, ochre, petroleum, ruby, sapphire and spinel, salt, silver, soda, sulfate of ammonia, tin and zinc, among many others. A few of the research papers and notes published in the journal were F. Stoliczka’s ‘Geological Notes on the Route Traversed by the Yarkand Embassy from Shahidula to Yarkand and Kashgar’; T.W.H. Hughes’ ‘Petroleum in Assam’; H.B. Medlicott’s ‘Coal in the Garo Hills’; W. Theobald’s ‘On the Former Extension of Glaciers within the Kangra District’; V. Ball’s ‘Building and Ornamental Stones of India’; Ottokar Freistmantel’s ‘Notes on Fossil Floras in India’; W.T. Blanford’s ‘Geological Notes on the Great Indian Desert between Sind and Rajputana’; W. King’s ‘Note on the Rocks of the Lower Godavari’; and L.L. Fermor’s ‘The Mineral Production of India during 1933’.

 

The journal published plates to illustrate the research findings.

Cookies Notification

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Accept